Home Flights Hotels Diary Maps

Home Canada South Africa New Zealand California Asian Tour USA 2007 Short Reports Blog!


SQ322 Singapore Changi Intl (SIN) - London Heathrow (LHR)
Date: 27 March 2005
Departure (scheduled): 23:20
Arrival (scheduled): 05:55 +1
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
Cabin: Economy
Seat: 47H

Due to not being able to check-in online I didn't end up with a very good seat on this one - 47H. But you can't have it all. I just hoped the two people between me and the window wouldn't want to get up and out much.

As it turned out, there was a young Australian in the window seat and for a while we thought the middle seat would be empty, but no such luck, a young Lithuanian chap came and sat down there. His English was fairly poor and he continually pinged the Flight Attendant button and kept asking for Baileys!!

I was starting to feel very tired now and taxi and take-off, both at night, are a bit of a blur. When the food came round, I told the FA that I wasn't hungry and wouldn't be eating. The FA was concerned, asking if I was OK and whether I would just like a snack instead etc. etc. Great service from SQ! I just explained that I had eaten on the previous flight and in the lounge and that I wasn't hungry.

Soon I tried to sleep, but I was disturbed a few times early on by my seat mates wanting to get out (fair enough), but eventually things calmed down and I got some kip. I did wake up somewhere over the Caucasus with about 5 hours to go (time in London = midnight!). Normally I would have tried to stay awake more after leaving Singapore, but I was just too tired.

Anyway, I was awake and decided to watch some programmes on KrisWorld. Within an hour or two most people were awake and the FA's decided to serve everyone breakfast. This was still about 3 hours out of LHR, very early indeed, but it was 8-9 hours from the last meal, so I guess everyone was ready for some food (I was as I hadn't eaten).

After the meal, with still a couple of hours to go, I played around with some games on KrisWorld and was really just wishing us forward, but we had a fairly strong headwind to fight against so it took time. Eventually we got to London and it was a relief to be on finals when, all of a sudden a bit of excitement was injected into our experience!

We were maybe at only 300-400 feet when all of a sudden there was a surge of engine power, the nose pitched up, the gear came up and the slats started to be retracted. It was a "go around", the first one I had ever experienced. After a fairly sharp left turn, the Captain came on and reassured everyone that there was nothing to worry about and that the aircraft in front had simply not got off the runway in time and he'd been told to go around by ATC.

However we were soon back in the loop and landed again within 10 mins. Immigration was no hassle and, amazingly, my bags came out first. Probably thanks to a priority baggage label, its a shame BA just ignore priority baggage - it makes such a difference after such a flight!

Overall I was extremely impressed with my experience on SQ and I would highly recommend them to anyone thinking of flying down to SE Asia or Australasia. A much better option in economy than BA, I'm afraid. Hopefully soon I can try them out in Business or First class where they also have an excellent reputation.